Skip to main content

Change and growth

I have left my second grade teaching position. I never feel sad about leaving something. I did love the people in my school--loved the camaraderie, loved my best friend being down the hall for a quick chat or joke as I walked through her classroom, mostly loved my teaching partner whom I was excited to see each morning. I won't miss those people though, I will have them in my life in different ways now. I will instead remember those times fondly because we laughed a lot.

I love the adventures I have in my life. I am not afraid to try new things. In fact, I throw myself into my new ventures as a researcher on a hot trail to discover the previously undiscovered.

I will be the new gifted and talented teacher in our district. There are only two of us and it is a big district. We focus primarily on grades 3-8. We met yesterday and I was thrilled to find someone who threw around big ideas and exciting projects in the same way I do. We talked books and intellect and how we want things to be this year.

I will also continue to make writing a priority in my life. One of my personal essays was recently accepted at a major online magazine. They want me to change it a bit, but I do hope it comes to fruition despite the fact that it reveals something about me I've kept closely guarded for most of my life. I am open to the reveal though. I am working at living as authentically as possible these days which is impossible if you are unwilling to share your downfalls. I will continue to work on writing about my passions as well as my story which when coupled with my situation makes my story aligned with yours and completely mine.


Comments

  1. Sounds like exciting changes are here for you! Enjoy the beginning of your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you were looking for a new challenge, I'm glad the right one found you. As the mom of two gifted students, I know that writing will play a vital role in your work with them. I cannot wait to read your piece! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left the elementary school where I taught for 12 years to be a 6th grade Humanities teacher in a gifted program, I was so excited, I didn't feel sad about leaving. I felt a little bad about that, but I can't help it. Good luck in your new job and congrats on the publication of your personal essay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…