Skip to main content

My Daily Write

This morning over coffee, I read my friend Kevin's blog post Compelled to Write (Every Day). His post made me laugh because just this morning as I was getting dressed I thought of two writing ideas and I kept thinking, 'this is why people use writing notebooks, Kimberley! You will forget these ideas.' And, I might, but for some reason I don't stop to write them down. I wait until I am at my blog which is my first point of writing down ideas. I think about my writing all day long. I think as I read about how that author writes what he/she writes. I think about writing in the shower, as I cook, when I am in my car.

I must write every day. I write before everyone in my house (two children and a husband) get up and start placing demands on me until we go off to school together. I write when I have 15 minutes at work and should be copying or tidying up. I write after school when my kids take time to play before homework. I write while I make dinner--really, I cook with my laptop open and go back and forth. I write after everyone is in bed until my eyes can no longer stay open.

My children are used to my writing. It used to be that I was reading and would tell them to wait for another chapter, but now it's writing and I ask them to wait until I am at a good stopping point. My mind can't turn off until what I'm thinking about it on the page.

________________________________________________

My latest writing thoughts are about why teachers in grades pre-K to 12 are not pushed to write and publish the way university professors are. If there was a culture of teachers who published their classroom research, thoughts, and ideas, would they be treated more professionally and less like children who don't know what's right for the future of our country. And if so, how can we create a culture of teachers who understand that what they are doing in the classroom should be shared so that people value pre-K-12 education the way they value college education. I know there is a sub-culture of people who have found their way to this, but I'm talking about being taught during pre-service teaching that it is your responsibility to publish your professional findings in the classroom.

That's what I'm thinking and writing about now.

Comments

  1. You are a writing junkie. That is totally awesome. I think about writing all the time too, and I love when phrases or words or ideas come to me and out of nowhere. I carry a notebook and haven't used it. Until now. This is a novel idea, that of having pre-K-12 teachers share their work or publish. What a flipping fantastic idea!!! It could be like an educated form of Pinterest. You are officially brilliant. (Also, I really adored the piece about you and your twin and the pretty room and the handsome room and the scampering to be together when your mom left.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that writing about teaching should be a part of a teacher's role. We want teachers to attend professional development and trainings but for what purpose? In colleges, professors do this but with a goal to publish their findings. I believe that the act of writing allows for one to really digest and internalize a concept. Great thinking, I love how your brain works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned this in the writing project and when I attended the Professional Writing Retreat in 2004. What has happened since that time? I was actually published in the NWP journal before it went away. I have continued to write by blogging. I see your point. Imagine if teachers were taught to be writers how much better their teaching of writing would be. You may be on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I interviewed an HR professional for an open position we have; As we asked him questions describing his career and accomplishments, he both explained the circumstance and commented that he had co-published an article about it. And his writing is far more expansive than that. Especially in a higher education field you can imagine how appealing this was to the search committee. And, really allowed us a view into his approach, skills, and style. I think your idea to start a movement in this area is spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…