Skip to main content

The Shop Around The Corner

There is a scene in You've Got Mail when Meg Ryan is closing her store for the final time and reminding herself that it is the end of an era. That her store will no longer be the center of growth for children and their parents. That the books which matter to us most, those from our childhood, will not be readily and eagerly talked about on the Upper West Side in NYC anymore.
"People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. My store is closing this week. I own a store, did I ever tell you that? It's a lovely store, and in a week it'll be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll be just a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. "
The change looked like this:






I have always been a person who loves change. I like when things are different, but I confess I wouldn't have been okay with leaving this store alone in the middle of New York.

When I was little, I lived on the Upper East Side in NYC. On the day school closed for summer break, I would race home to pick up my mother and drag her to the bookstore on 92nd and Madison. 
I spent my school year in New York City, but a few days after school let out we drove to Castine Maine for three long perfect reading months. This bookstore time was my opportunity to stock up on books that could affirm who I already was or change me or help me love or live better. A lot rode on my book choices. My heart literally pounded in my chest as I looked up and down the stacks locating an author or a title. I’d be scanning book spines and then...there it would be. For a moment my pulse would slow down while I set the book on my pile and checked my school book list. There was indeed a library in Maine. The Witherle Library was a lovely library where I would spend much of my days and where I was allowed to check out books. But I needed the books on my summer reading list.  I didn’t just want the ten recommended or required books; I begged my mother to let me get every single one I wanted on a list of over 50 and she acted like that was pretty reasonable.

Our small bookstores around the country are changing, closing, and with that comes the loss of something so special. I always thought I would be Kathleen Kelley. I watched that movie memorizing her apartment and clothes, drawing about having my own story time one Saturday morning. She is, by and large, fictional, but for me she will always represent the wonder I have when the world changes and leaves behind things that are so special, so wonderful, it's hard not to wonder about our humanity.

Comments

  1. NCTE restored my faith in the power of books and authors and teachers. I hope you can come next year. We need to keep Kathleen Kellys in this world. You are one of them any time you hand a book to a child and say, "I think you'll like this one."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday, my youngest son and I were at the library picking out books. He said to me, "Do you remember when I was younger that we used to make a weekly trip to the library and get like 30 books? I miss that!" Now that they are older, they read chapter books, as well as teen/young adult fiction. I also can relate to bookstore closings. We've had three in the last five years close. We now have none in my small town. Thanks for you lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely childhood you had. To have a book list of 50. Access and time and space to digest. You were so lucky. It is a worry. How many others have this opportunity? I believe it's up to us to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved from a small town with minimal, uninviting library to a somewhat larger one with a much better library. Neither town has a bookstore. I'm partially housebound, which doesn't help.

    All this reminded me to start an OCLC World Cat account to search from home until I can get an AspenCat account. World Cat profiles include "list favorite libraries" feature, so I'm adding fondly remembered libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My memories come from the book mobile, and my children's from a sweet local children's bookstore that is not there anymore, BUT there are now others, at least in Denver, lovely indie stores, big and little. I imagine those that are now gone might have been heartbroken about the closing. I don't know, but you've brought back my fond memories of them. Wonderful post, Kimberley.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…