Skip to main content

The Order of the Trees by Katy Farber

As long as I have been reading, I have been drawn to stories about women  (and girls) who did things on their own. I read everything I could get my hands on. There was The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Anastasia Krupnik.Then later, there was Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi about an 18 year old girl who sails around the world alone except for her cat. But the book I kept thinking about while reading Katy Farber's The Order of the Trees was The Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill who climbs a 1,000 year old Redwood tree in Northern California and lives there for more than two years! I never wanted to live in a tree, but there is nothing more appealing than passion and care for the way one chooses to live one's life.
In The Order of the Trees, Farber crafts a mysterious story of a baby found at the base of an old growth tree. The man and woman who find her, adopt her and name her Cedar. The rest of this middle grade book centers on Cedar's sixth grade year. She clearly does not fit in at school, but manages to befriend one kind boy named Phillip. Together they deal with the negative comments and simple minds of the other sixth graders. After Cedar falls ill, it will be Phillip who finds a way to help her heal through the powers of the natural world and the order of trees. Woven tightly into this book is the theme of caring for our environment. At times the theme can feel a bit contrived, but Farber stays true to the story and to her intent to help children see that they can (and should) help save Mother Earth.

Katy Farber is a teacher, author, and founder of the blog Non-Toxic Kids. Her character Cedar represents the importance of trees in our lives. They need to be here and we are the only ones who can protect them. I will recommend this to my students because a) It is a way into the minds of kids who may be wondering what they can do and b) The cover is beautiful, the book is a perfect size for a small person's hand, and it is just 117 short pages of pure story which many of my students will appreciate greatly.

Comments

  1. Once again, you have sent me to the bookstore in search of another great read. I can't keep up with you. I did absolutely love Island of the Blue Dolphins, but I have a hard time getting girls to read it. The other one I loved was Julie of the Wolves. But these days the kids want to read books that move faster. I've always loved books that took me to a new place. The Order of the Trees sounds like that kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminds me in a way of Boy on the Porch. I really appreciate your student-centered thinking here Kimberley. It is one thing when we adults love a text, but to look at it from what children need can be an entirely different thing. This is your gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a lovely read, Kimberley. I love the connection to nature and the natural world, too - not enough of the books our kids read have a slant like this, and it's important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…