Skip to main content

5th Grade Writer's Workshop: SOL 12

Write. Share. Give. Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge @ Two Writing Teachers
                                          ______________________________
On Mondays and Thursdays from 1:45 until 2:45, I have a group of four (4!) very smart girls who come to me for advanced writing. We trust each other. We respect each other. We spend a great deal of our time in companionable silence. These two hours a week are among my favorite times. 

There is a routine to our time. They walk out to my portable buzzing with chatter about their lives. Filling me in on the time I wasn't with them. As we enter the portable, they each grab an iPad and settle in at a table to listen. Everyone gets a chance to talk about what piece is being worked on or what craft move they are hoping to try. I usually interject a brief lesson involving a craft move or mentor text based on what they have told me. This means I must listen carefully to what they need. This also means that I must have a toolbox at the ready filled with the right book or lesson for what they need.

This month they have been crafting slices of their lives. By the end of the month, they must have looked at what they've written and weave them together into a new product. They have options. They can create found poems from their slices. They can lift lines. They can illustrate. I have been introducing different ways for them to create one cohesive piece from the many slices. It is hard work. It is creative work. For them, it is very quiet work. I tend to talk to think, but with these four I have learned that the more I let them be the better their work gets. Their work and thinking needs time to marinate, germinate, and marry.

Near the end of our time, one or two will ask for parts of their work to be workshopped. They understand the term. They aren't expecting anyone to fix their work. They sit silently after handing us each a copy of what they need us to work on. We read it and mark it and then we tell that girl what we think--the good, the bad, and the ugly. She is not allowed to respond. She can take notes but she must just absorb what we have to say. We say it kindly, but we don't hide what we think. 

I am working on self-esteem with these writers as well. We talk about how self-esteem is not about being told you are great, it's about being willing to hear the growth possibilities and making the choice that you need. You are in charge of your self-esteem. We talk about this a lot because writing is so personal, it's hard sometimes to separate who you are from how you are writing.

Comments

  1. "We talk about how self-esteem is not about being told you are great, it's about being willing to hear the growth possibilities and making the choice that you need." Powerful words. I've copied them down into my notebook as I think I need this reminder as well--the reminder to embrace growth opportunities. Thanks for sharing a window into your amazing work with these girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how these hours can be among your favorites, sharing a common passion with these girls. The authors that come to my school talk a lot about the writing process, how one must be open to sometimes severe editing without giving up. Writing takes self-esteem, stamina, and perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be in that group! (Do you accept boys?) :)

    Marinate, germinate and marry. I'm going to steal these words to think about more...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What incredible work you are doing! This experience will surely live in their memories and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heavenly spot for you and these girls, writing together, growing together. I love what you wrote about self-esteem. It's about hearing the growth possibilities and making the choice that you need. Of course! If you are confident, you have the openness to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great group you are working with!! How lucky for you and them to be able to write in such a comfortable environment. I love the ideas that you've shared with them about how they can pull all of the writing together when they are done. PLEASE share some of the final products with us, as I am sure they will be just as amazing as the gals that you're working with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know they'll take away the craft moves, and ideas from each other's writing and from you, but this is the best thing, Kimberley: "because writing is so personal, it's hard sometimes to separate who you are from how you are writing." What a helpful life lesson for you to give them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful slice. This close group, writing side by side, might just be the best self esteem work they could do, right now. They are lucky to have you and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in charge of your self esteem. This! Ah, yes! Loved hearing about this hour with your four writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jealous of those kids - I want in on this writing workshop in your cottage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a powerful story of young writers, coming together, and the way that the situation is built on trust and sharing. Inspirational post! (Now, I just need time for a small writing group)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely time for you all! It is the gift of time with likeminded creators that we need most to be the people we can truly be. You are doing great work and have expressed it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone's comments! This is inspirational and exciting! I wish I could sit in with your group!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant!
    And what you are teaching about self-esteem is life-changing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…