Skip to main content

Disaster Relief: SOL 10

Write. Share. Give. Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge @ Two Writing Teachers
                                          ______________________________
Hurricane Katrina was bearing down and my work in disaster relief for the American Red Cross was in full defense mode. Who were we sending? Were the volunteers ready? There wasn’t much time to sleep and sleep was important to me those days. It was August 26th, 2005 and I was 32 weeks pregnant with my first child. Our Red Cross offices were based in Maine. Each office is required to train and ready volunteers to be sent out for disaster relief.  Disaster relief volunteers tend to be an odd breed of people. They live for disasters instead of fearing them. They are at the ready to leave the comfort of their own home for adventure into hotel living and days spent handing out gift cards and snack packs. For some, it is a way to volunteer once a year. For others, it is a retirement plan--a way to travel and help people without spending money. It is nothing if not a bonded community. People brought together simply to help other people.

I left the chaos of trip management and headed to my doctor’s appointment a couple of miles away. The nurse there slipped the blood pressure cuff over my arm and raised her eyebrows. I saw the numbers: 220/170. “I’m under a lot of stress at work right now. it’s usually normal,” I said. I wanted to get back to work. She called in the doctor who said that I needed to go right to the hospital for some more tests. They wanted to rule out a condition called preeclampsia before I went back to work. As soon as I walked in, it appeared they had been waiting for me. Someone sat me in a wheelchair and told me I’d be staying there for the night. My only thought was that I needed to be at work to prepare for more disaster relief. “My baby isn’t coming,” I told them. “This isn’t how it works. I’ve got 6-8 more weeks for him to grow.” They put me in the bedrest wing. I tried to get up the next morning, but I saw so many lights around my head that I sat back down. When I told the nurse, she rushed to get the doctor. “We think you may be about to have a Stroke,” they explained. “Your baby is coming out today.” They wouldn’t even let me get out of bed, unlocking its wheels and rolling right down to the delivery wing. Hospital nurses and doctors tend to be an odd breed of people. They live for disasters instead of fearing them. They are at the ready to leave the comfort of their own home to help sick people who need comfort.


I sat back in my bed and let it all happen to me. There was no stopping it. As I waited, I watched on TV as Hurricane Katrina swept in. There was no stopping it.

Comments

  1. Wow. I love the line "there was no stopping it" as it powerfully connects both the hurricane with the early delivery. This was a very powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By a twist of fate, Hurricane Katrina and the birth of your firstborn are forever connected--and make for a powerful story. One more thing we have in common--I started miscarrying the day of the Jarrell tornado, when we had tornadic activity over our neighborhood. I can never think of the one event without the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this was riveting! I love how you wove both events together. Great slice, Kimberley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your slice brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - what a story! I love how you linked them together with the repetitive lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a slice!! What a day! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be in your shoes. I'd been so stressed. Wow. Wonderful memory Kim.
    Bonnie K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crafted beautifully, Kimberley. And - I didn't know that you'd worked for the Red Cross...a new discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You took my breath away. The writing and knowing this is you and your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm speechless.... what an amazing slice, and such a powerful moment in so many aspects of your life. You're so strong!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…