Skip to main content

How Reading Changes Writing: SOL 17

Write. Share. Give. Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge @ Two Writing Teachers
                                          ______________________________
Reading changes us. Not just our thinking but our writing as well. They are inextricably linked. I have lifted some lines from other slicer's posts to show how you can tell when people are readers. Their language speaks volumes.


I would add carefully to my collections. Jars and jars of sea glass.  Bowls of smooth stones. Shells, bones and wood that caught my eye.If I lived in a house by the sea. (Carrie Gelson-There's A Book for That)
The real lesson for literature is Allegory (a term none were familiar with) and history (The Cold War) but any reason to bring out a Dr. Seuss book is fine by me. Not many have had The Butter Battle Book read to them (a few had watched the video version at some point) and I made sure my reading style projected both the absurdity of the tale (butter? bread? Yooks? Zooks?) with the sharp political commentary of the Cold War’s nuclear arms race. (Kevin Hodsdon-Kevin's Meandering Mind)
I take her small kindness into my hand and wonder about the river bank the stone lived in before, a place where violent waves smoothed rock. 
I wonder about the larger truth: Can violence smooth outthe edges and leave behind kind? (Margaret Simon-Reflections on the Teche)
When we read, we let the words and the voice and the flow become ours in a way that no one else does. When we write, we share who that is. 

Comments

  1. What we read, and how we make those selections, is so important. That's one of the many roles of teachers -- exposing students to texts that might be outside the realm of comfort, while still pushing their thinking and providing solace and grace.
    Kevin
    PS -- thanks for sharing one of my lines in your post. A nice start to my day ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting close to time for me to write a found poem from slices. Thanks for adding my lines to your page today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading makes one a better writer, and writing makes one a better reader--a lovely, unending circle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, wow! So honoured to be mentioned here. Means a lot. Those last two sentences of your post are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inextricably linked - so true. I love the way you've used these lines to make your point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful post. Loved the ending..."When we read, we let the words and the voice and the flow become ours in a way that no one else does. When we write, we share who that is."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…