Skip to main content

My Heart Can't Even Believe It by Amy Silverman

_______________________________________________________

My Heart Can’t Even Believe It
Amy Silverman
Woodbine House, April 2016
Memoir

Reading Amy Silverman’s memoir, “My Heart Can’t Even Believe It” is like spending time with a best friend who knows she doesn’t have to censor her thoughts. At the start of the book, Silverman looks at her new baby girl who probably has Down syndrome despite a previous negative ultrasound and hopes quite fervently that this baby will have the family’s trademark curly hair. “But what about Sophie--so tiny in her carrier, with straight black hair and a feeding tube up her nose, chromosomally challenged and days away from open-heart surgery?” Ms. Silverman writes. “Would her hair ever curl?” It is here that I realized Silverman would tell me the truth about what it felt like for her to have a baby with Down syndrome. There would be no pussy footing around and claiming she was glad her child had Trisomy 21.

She hooked me right there as well because I was that woman too, that one who was excited my child had blue eyes while I waited to see if my premature baby would need open-heart surgery. It’s hard to let yourself think about the bad things when you’ve just been given this baby. It’s a whole lot easier to think about the normal things everyone else thinks about at that point. Ms. Silverman opens up a part of herself most people keep tightly covered. She shares how she once used the word retarded, but now finds ways to tell people not to use it. She goes on to share secrets about what it’s really like to have a child with Down syndrome from a physical and emotional angle. “I have a daughter who sucks her thumb and has pubic hair,” Silverman thinks. “She’s still Sophie...She [i]s--and she [i]sn’t” This is where we all panic in our parenting, isn’t it? Where the truth comes out that our children are not what we expected, but that we cannot believe the love we have for them.

It is not only in the beginning that Silverman wonders about the minute details of this new tiny person, throughout each and every page she will question and research every aspect of what makes a human become a productive, happy big person.  Ms. Silverman is a mother who isn’t sure how to connect with her child and this feels wrong, in fact even somewhat inappropriate. She has another daughter whom she felt that all encompassing kind of love for and though she knows she is completely responsible for this new daughter, for much of the beginning of the book she thinks of her as her Down syndrome daughter instead of as Sophie. It is this vulnerability of ultimate love that terrifies Silverman. Can she love this child who is different? This one who might die after the open-heart surgery she has at just three months old.

Early on she turned her fear into curiosity, “First up: Just what exactly is Down syndrome? The genetics counselor (and every doctor I’ve talked to and book or article I’ve read) explained it so simply: In the vast majority of cases, something goes haywire during conception (probably having something to do with an old mom, according to the “expert”) and the fetus winds up with an extra twenty-first chromosome.” Throughout “My Heart Can’t Even Believe It,” Ms. Silverman explores these questions from every angle affecting a human being’s growth. She becomes the kind of investigative reporter Erin Brockovich aspired to be. Her in depth look across every existing discipline, while always keeping Sophie at the center of her research, helped her fall deeply in love with Sophie. It is when she sought out expert contacts in the areas of science, society, education, Special Olympics, Alzheimer’s research,and group homes that she found where Sophie might begin to fit in and began to move from a place of grief into a place of peace. That moment of peace, though, changed with each year. As Sophie grew, so did the supports that needed to be in place. There was a therapist who only worked with kids when they are younger. There was the elementary school that ended at fifth grade. Just as Amy Silverman would get her bearings and make sure Sophie felt confident and secure, the externals would change and shift throwing them off balance.

“I still remember the very moment I began to worry about Sophie growing up--and realized just how ill-equipped I was to deal with it,” Ms. Silverman recalls. This doubt created the momentum she needed to continue her research as Sophie grew. She forced herself to let go of the slammed doors and find places that wanted Sophie and would welcome her with the joy Sophie deserved. What she discovered was that there were great places where Sophie would be accepted, but there were also lots of places where--though it was illegal to say no--people found ways to block Sophie from being admitted. I felt like Silverman’s best friend as I cried when Sophie would wonder why she couldn’t be like everyone else. The pain of having a child in pain runs deep.

There were times, I felt, when Silverman’s story gets bogged down in the technical descriptions of her investigation, but those parts also reinforced her drive to get to the bottom of what this one extra chromosome means for her child. Silverman’s details also remind the reader regularly that Sophie is not a typical child. She is a child who, in middle school, needs assistance with her velcroed tennis shoes. Down syndrome is not something that heals with time. Ms. Silverman eloquently takes us down the path of constant care that is being the good parent of a child with Down syndrome.

“Will I still have Down syndrome when I grow up?” Sophie asks her mother regularly and it is Silverman’s job to tell her the truth, hug her tightly, and love her a little bit more...if that’s possible.

Comments

  1. I read every single word of this review--book reviews and essays are among y favorite things to read, both for the same reason: I have limited time. I've got to read books through other people, and I've got to step through their journey through their reflections. Does that make sense? Silverman's book and your thoughts on it opened my eyes to Downs Syndrome on this cool Tuesday morning--thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review. Putting this book on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older I get, the more I appreciate folks who tell it like it is from a stance of love and concern--"no pussy footing around", as you so eloquently stated it. This book, and your review of it, expresses the complexity of parenting made exponentially different by the challenges that Down's syndrome brings to the family. Adding this to my list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review as well as the book you describe tell the true story, that very real struggle to understand and accept our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. My 2 year old has significant special needs and I am learning what it is like to be in a club I didn't ask to join. I have chosen to make our story public because too many of us don't and then we give other parents of special needs children the false idea that all is well and that we are perfectly okay with this diagnosis and life as it now is. I will definitely be looking for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you -- I will definitely add this to my stack -- I am hoping it is audio and dreaming she is the reader.... I would love to hear it in her voice.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Chris. Reading book reviews are one of my favorite things to do. So I read a lot of them. Yours gets me so wrapped up in the book. It gives me the MUST HAVE feeling. So WOW great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting and well written review, Kimberley. This looks to be an important book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a child with special needs in our family, I connected with many of the things you shared from this book, and from Sophie's mother. It has changed our lives in how we look at everything. There has been joy in the support given, and sadness is those who don't know nor do they want to know, how to help. Thanks, Kimberley. The book sounds very special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. This review is excellent. I want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…