Skip to main content

When I was 10: SOL 25

Write. Share. Give. Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge @ Two Writing Teachers
                                          ______________________________

When I was 10 years old, I met Holly and Julie Sharp. They were fraternal twins so they didn’t really look alike. Oh yes they looked like sisters but they were very different. This was perfect as far as I was concerned since I had a twin brother who was also fraternal. From the moment I met Holly and Julie, I wanted to introduce them to Matthew, my twin brother. 

"Don't like him more than me, okay?" I told the other twins on the way to my house. "Because sometimes he can be funnier and he'll do what you want him to do, but my mom says we come as a pair, okay?" Holly and Julie nodded.

So it came as a great relief that they seemed to like us both just the same. 

We began spending all of our daylight time together that summer. I would call Holly or Julie (whomever answered the phone) in the morning and we'd plan out our day. Sometimes we would meet at the college pool to swim and dare each other to jump off the high dive...and what  a high dive it was. I would climb all the way to the top of its ladder and scooch out slowly to the end of the diving board. Then I would stand there and wait. Matthew and Holly would egg me on. “C’mon!” they’d shout. This wouldn’t help matters. Julie would stand at the end of the diving board next to the ladder saying, "It's okay if you come back." But I didn’t want to. "No!" I shouted. "I want to be the one who makes the jump and lives to tell about it!" They'd all laugh. Even the lifeguard would laugh. Then I'd jump holding my nose and squinching up my face and landing smack down hard on the flat of my thigh and it would burn, but I would live just like I said I would.

That was the summer we were 10, all four of us. Matthew and me and Holly and Julie Sharp.

Comments

  1. I took my almost-ten year old and almost-12 year old to the pool today, and the first thing they both said afterwards was, "Did you see me go off the high dive?"

    You capture that summer feeling perfectly, as well as the specific feeling of twins amongst twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that twin connection, and your worry about them liking him better than you (as if). How is it that the summers of that age span -- from 10 to 12 or so -- remain indelible in so many of our memories? It's as if that is the time we first realized we were alive to the world.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. My good friend has boys who are fraternal twins. Their connection is so tight. I find it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twins fascinate me. I was right there with you watching you jump and live. Hah! Your voice is clear. I'd love to meet your twin brother. I bet the two of you together are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fortuitous--another twin set to share the summer! You captured the trepidation of making new friends, and the fun of summer play, so well in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine my twins connected to another set of twins! It would be fun though. I love just the feel of the last 2 lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The experience of being a twin is unique. How wonderful to share with another set! All voices are present here through your voice. Some a little stronger than others. Beautiful craft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun to have found another set of twins to enjoy fun times and memories with!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this sentence: "Don't like him more than me, okay?" I told the other twins on the way to my house. It is so real and vulnerable. I completely knew you in that moment from one sentence. Thank you for sharing.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  10. So real. You captured the thoughts of a 10-year-old (or maybe everyone) with "don't like him more than me, okay?" Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great memories of your 10 year old self! Love the image of you all at the pool

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great line! "I was forever misunderstanding things until I read them."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…