Skip to main content

Mystery of the Missing Fox by Tamra Wight

Mystery of the Missing Fox
by Tamra Wight
Islandport Press
April, 2016
middle grade
When our family goes camping, I make my kids keep journals. They can put anything they want in their journals but they must add a page a day. When they return to school after the summer, they never complain that they have nothing to write about and this makes me glad for the journal. Camping brings out the best in my children. They reconnect with nature. They laugh a bit more. They discover the joy of doing nothing. We hike, cook, swim, and read a lot. If someone asks my kids their favorite thing to do in the summer, they will always say camping. It's also great for me because my husband and I do a complete role reversal. He takes care of everything. He sets up the tent, cooks, cleans, and manages the kids. I sit and read and pour coffee or wine depending on the time of day.

Tamra Wight's third Cooper and Packrat book, Mystery of the Missing Fox is the book for kids who love camping or who dream of camping. Wight does a wonderful job of bringing us into the day-to-day experiences that make up the life of a campground owner. As in each of the books in this series, Wight shares facts about an animal throughout the book. In this one, the reader learns about red foxes. Cooper lives at the campground with his parents and sister Molly. They are just about to open the campground for the season when Cooper's dad is hurt. The campers from previous summers come to help open the campground. While working hard to accomplish this task, Cooper and his friends find a family of red foxes and work to protect them from a possible poacher. The relationships between the four friends: Cooper, Packrat, Roy, and Summer are realistic and relatable. Kids who love realistic stories where they can see themselves will love this series. In this book, Cooper becomes a deeper character in that he must learn who he is in order to truly help his mother through this crisis. Wight does a really nice job of helping us see how hard this is for him and of how much he learns from observing the family of red foxes.

We have lost our connections to the natural world. Books such as Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv detail what this loss of nature will do to our species long term. When we let ourselves quiet down and spend time in nature we learn who we are and where we fit in to the world. Tamra Wight helps her characters find this peace and shows readers how critical it is to find their peace as well.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed Cooper's third adventure, Kimberley. And thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely series, Kimberley! Camping, animals, kids...a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The connections to the natural world is diminishing. Our kids are inside and disconnected. Kudos to you to have your kids outside, noticing and writing. Sounds like this series could entice and engage kids. Excited for a series of books. That's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The connections to the natural world is diminishing. Our kids are inside and disconnected. Kudos to you to have your kids outside, noticing and writing. Sounds like this series could entice and engage kids. Excited for a series of books. That's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…