Skip to main content

Wish by Barbara O'Connor

Wish
by Barbara O'Connor
Middle Grade
Farrar Straus Giroux, August 2016
Last year, among the more than 52 books I read aloud to my own children, we read "The Boy on the Porch" by Sharon Creech. It was a powerful book for us. We are deeply feeling three people--Felix and Annie and I. We love when characters are portrayed with goodness and kindness. After reading Creech's book, we went for a long walk to watch the sunset. None of us spoke a word for over an hour. Then Felix broke the silence by saying, "that book needed time to settle into our bones I guess." We nodded. This year when Barbara O'Connor's ARC of "Wish" arrived, both kids said "That's our next read aloud!"

O'Connor's "Wish" is just as powerful. In fact, we have stopped and re-read parts so we could admire the character shifts and mannerisms. My children have asked me to slow down so they could think about why the main character Charlie finds it so difficult to be kind. "She must be in pain because her mama doesn't love her," my son states. "I think she's so sad she can't see what she does have," my daughter explains. Since emotional understanding and empathy is a critical component of how I raise my children, I was so pleased to see my kid's transformed thinking.

Charlie Reese is eleven years old in North Carolina. Scrappy, her dad, is in a correctional facility and her Mama won't get out of bed. So Charlie is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in Colby NC. The thing that made me unbelievably happy is that her aunt and uncle, Bertha and Gus, are two of the kindest, most loving adults you could ever meet. Charlie learns what love is through their endless proof of understanding, but also because of what she sees every day.
"He thinks I married him for his looks." Bertha winked at me. "But I married him for his brains," she said.
Gus laughed.
And then the most amazing thing happened. They both reached out at the exact same time and held hands. It was like somebody had said, "Okay, on the count of three, hold hands." I'd never in my whole life seen Scrappy and Mama hold hands. Shoot, most of the time, they didn't even look at each other. 
O'Connor's writing reflects both her incredible observation skills and her excellent use of the English language. This is a story told entirely through the words and actions of her characters. She is not a story'tell'er, but rather O'Connor presents us with a scene and lets us take what we can from it. She expects her readers to be smart and it feels good. I could see my children feel proud when they puzzled out what was happening instead of having it explained to them. O'Connor's intelligent, well researched writing makes me proud to share her books with parents, teachers and children.

Comments

  1. Okay....you just made a grown woman cry. Thank you so much for this. How I love hearing about how your children reacted to the book. xoxoxoxo THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Kimberley. I can't wait to read the book and I hope that my kids become the kinds of readers F & A are. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. O'Connor's books are masterful. This line: "She is not a story'tell'er, but rather O'Connor presents us with a scene and lets us take what we can from it," is a perfect description. We are the lucky to have her lovely insights on the goodness in humans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, is this going to be a heartbreaker? I want to be one of your kids and cuddle up to good books every night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …