Skip to main content

The Homework Habit

Recently after commenting on KJ Dell'Antonia's FaceBook page about how I manage homework in my house, she asked me to explain my ten minute per subject rule better. She said it didn't sound possible (it isn't always). We took an hour to chat about it. She told me my concepts and parenting methods sounded a bit like this book:
I hadn't heard about this book, so I ordered it. I've been slowly making my way through it as I reflect on what I believe about homework and parenting gifted children. Wishing I could share parts of it with my husband, but knowing he'd raise his eyebrows and tell me he knew this all along (he didn't).

I also read several of KJ's blog posts and New York Times articles about kids and homework because it's a topic that parents and teachers and kids think and talk about for much of the week.


Both of my children have been identified by their school district as gifted, but in very different ways. After they were identified, I moved from being a classroom teacher to a teacher of gifted children thinking it might help me parent them more effectively. 

Now I have a better idea of the variety of needs that gifted children have around homework. 
I hear from their parents. 
I hear from the kids. 
I watch these kids' very real struggle to achieve academically in a world where people expect more from them...and tell them so. 
"I thought you were gifted?"
"You're gifted, so this should be simple for you."

Contrary to popular belief, gifted children have uniquely special needs that often make accomplishing tasks like homework very difficult. My son Felix might take 45 minutes to complete ten math problems, though math is one of his strengths. He agonizes over each problem, looking at it from different angles and making the task far more complex than it needs to be.
This usually becomes a two part scenario. First, he asks for my help but yells at me for giving it––often crying out of frustration. Second, he accepts my suggestion whereupon I race out of the room so he can work by himself.

What do I wish? I wish he could just do a few problems instead of the 20-30 typically required to show mastery, so time doesn't become the issue. But this isn't the case. So often I must either beg him to speak with his teacher (he won't) or secretly email her (I do). Neither is very effective. As the book KJ recommended (and I agree), we must empower our children to take responsibility for their work. This is very difficult for me given his needs, but in the end his needs are a part of him and he must take responsibility for that as well. Saving him is serving no purpose. He and I both know that unless he does the work, he won't learn. He wants to learn––desperately.

So I work hard to give him rules about his homework. He must begin it at a certain time. He must work straight in a focused way for ten minutes. I don't put out a timer, we just glance at the clock. We work hard together to identify and reflect on when he is focused and when he has gone off on a tangent triggered by something he is doing for homework. His mind works in illogical connections. It takes him time to untangle them so that he can feel "knot" free and ready to get back to the task at hand. I hate that I have to discourage this often brilliant connected experience for him, but I know he must learn to focus and get the work accomplished. He can also do more in ten focused minutes than many other typically developing children. After ten minutes, he gets a break. Then we refocus and do it all over again. It's exhausting, but it's working. He is finally creating the study habits that he will need longer term when I am not there to poke and prod.

My daughter, well she's a story for another day. Perfectionism has a different set of needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

DigiLit Sunday: Relationships

In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..

On Sunday, I interviewed a woman named Julie Lindsay. She lives in Australia and started a company called Flat Connections. Her message to me was that Web 2.0 tools have changed the face of education. It brought the walls down so that we could all reach each other.

On  Monday, I read a book by Pernille Ripp, a teacher living in Wisconsin. In Reimagining Literacy through Global Connections, Ripp's message to me was to keep it simple when going global, the students just need to know they can connect and share who they are.

On Tuesday, I voxed Julieanne Harmatz. "Let's do this!" I said. "I've got a fourth grade, you've got a fifth. Mine is in Maine, yours is in California. Let's read together and share thoughts." She agreed.

On Wednesday, Julieanne emailed suggestions for three books she had multiple copies of. I book talked them to my students that afternoon.

On Thursday, I worked online with…