Skip to main content

Book Review: The Infamous Ratsos

At six, if I said to my grandmother, "Let's have hot dogs for lunch," she would say, "Righto!" to indicate agreement. I love this and wish it wouldn't sound out of place for me to use it.

"Let's go to the store."
"Righto."

"I finished my homework, so can I go outside?"
"Righto!"

Old fashioned phrases and words evoke a time and a place for us in a way that very few other things do.

Imagine my delight in Kara LaReau's new book The Infamous Ratsos, when one rat brother, Ralphie, says "Righto!" as he responds to his rat brother Louie about things. In seven short chapters that make excellent use of every word ranging from easily managed ones to those that might require some research, LaReau shows her readers how two small rat boys and one lonely (but very tough!) father rat use being tough to cover their sadness. There is a nice mixture of action and character development when the two brothers look to get into trouble, but end up doing kind things by mistake. Kids will love this dichotomy. The illustrations by Matt Myers carry this story even further by using a backdrop of a crumbling cityscape, two rat brothers who wear clothing and hang out in alleys, and humorous names for storefronts that only the observant will notice. These illustrations will help bring kids into the story as they read the old fashioned gangster speak:

"That's mean," says Ralphie.
"That's tough," says Louie.
"Righto," Ralphie says, cracking his knuckles. "Let's make some trouble."

This book has smart written all over it. I can't wait to read it with the gifted first grader I work with. The use of the word infamous in the title starts us off thinking about how these two rat brothers, Louie and Ralphie are somehow famous for being bad. I love that I'll need to investigate this word with the students who read it before we even start. There is much to discuss and learn about how different relationships work ranging from father-sons to neighbors and even bullying on the playground. LaReau has done a masterful job to incorporate all of this into one very readable chapter book for first through third graders.

Bravo!

Comments

  1. I can hear you say, "Righto!" as you read this aloud to kids. What fun characters. Makes me want to teach primary kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…

Writing Short, Day 1

I've taken a new position. I'm now an editor and writer at a company called We Are Teachers. I do some article writing for them, but I also write very short pieces designed for emails or giveaways. I didn't think I'd like this kind of work, but I do! It brings me back to the importance of knowing how to write short. I've talked about this before, but here's the book I'm referencing:
And thank you, Roy Peter Clark, for soothing my guilt about writing specifically for the Tweet. In “How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times,” this amazing writer praises Twitter’s 140-character limit as a tool for “intelligent cutting.”
So, as a way to get better at my new craft, I'm re-reading his book and actually doing the activities at the end of each chapter. The first: Practice writing plain sentences that contain a grace note, one interesting word that stands out. ___________________________________________
As did Proteus, I move forward into change. I figure, I …