Skip to main content

#IMWAYR It’s Monday! Here’s What I’m Reading: The Learning Habit, Be a Changemaker, & Counting Thyme

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA! is hosted by Jen Vincent  @Teach Mentor Texts & Kellee Moye @ Unleashing Readers.

I'm enjoying this book which is about helping kids succeed in school and life. The authors' premise is that kids need to be taught the skills necessary to have a balanced like. They feel that we need to teach children how to balance multiple activities. Kids need to learn how to cut out distractions (especially all electronics) and focus on one job at a time. A parent’s role is to provide the quiet homework area area and resist the impulse to “help” or “rescue” their child. Kids need to experience taking responsibility for their work; otherwise, they won’t develop confidence in their own abilities. I need this in my own life and I'm finding other parents asking me questions about the students in my class around these same issues.
This book is showing me how to help kids be successful at starting projects or clubs that work effectively. It is written for kids to read, but I am reading to see if I can break it down into smaller chunks for kids to do during the year. I find that my gifted kids are empathetic and want to help, but only know how to help in traditional ways. I'd like them to start thinking out-of-the-box and find new ways that truly help and are possible.
I'm not finished with this book yet, but I'm totally engrossed in it. I find myself thinking about the main character Thyme while I cook and go about my daily business. 

When eleven-year-old Thyme Owen’s little brother, Val, is accepted into a new cancer drug trial, it’s just the second chance that he needs. But it also means the Owens family has to move to New York, thousands of miles away from Thyme’s best friend and everything she knows and loves. The island of Manhattan doesn’t exactly inspire new beginnings, but Thyme tries to embrace the change for what it is: temporary. After Val’s treatment shows real promise and Mr. Owens accepts a full-time position in the city, Thyme has to face the frightening possibility that the move to New York is permanent. Thyme loves her brother, and knows the trial could save his life—she’d give anything for him to be well—but she still wants to go home, although the guilt of not wanting to stay is agonizing. She finds herself even more mixed up when her heart feels the tug of new friends, a first crush and even a crotchety neighbor and his sweet whistling bird. All Thyme can do is count the minutes, the hours and the days, and hope time can bring both a miracle for Val and a way back home.

Comments

  1. Counting Thyme has been on my TBR list for a while. Thanks for the review. Be a Changemaker sounds really interesting and timely with so many student directed projects going on in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counting Thyme is on its way to me, and now I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to hear what you think about Thyme when you finish. A group of my seventh graders read it for book club, and they had some really good discussions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Counting on Thyme is on my list to read this year. From everything that I keep reading about it, it sounds like a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Learning Habit sounds like an inspiring read, and so timely. Simply dumping hour after hours of homework on children isn't the best way to prepare them for life! There should be so much more to education than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Counting Thyme does sound like a special read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Help Gifted Kids Find Their Gifts

When I work with gifted kids, I'm amazed by their lack of understanding about what interests them. They know how to surf the net exhaustively for Youtube videos that make them laugh, but not what skills and practices further their interests.

Developing interests and passions is critical to these students. Many people out there tell me that this is not just for gifted kids, that their average developing child needs to know how to do this too. While of course I agree that this is true, I also think that typical academic, fine arts, and sports programs are available in most communities are enough to engage and motivate most kids. Not true of gifted children who become jaded, disinterested, and shut down quickly when a program doesn't meet their needs.
Most people think of gifted students as being prodigies who know exactly where their gifts lie. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I often question if some children who are identified as gifted will ever find thei…

Moo by Sharon Creech

I moved to Maine in 1982. I was a thirteen year old freshman in high school fresh out of a childhood in New York City. It sounds more exotic than it really was. The Maine I moved into wasn't so rustic. The town, Cape Elizabeth, is quite upwardly mobile––think Boston suburb. I remember distinctly the day my friends told me we were headed to the Fryeburg Fair. I had been to a few Maine county fairs over the summers I spent Downeast on the coast of Maine, so I knew what to expect. The 4H clubs mesmerized me. These kids who took such control of large livestock were amazing. They knew what they were doing. They were all pig whisperers and lamb crooners. These animals I knew nothing about in the real world were kept clean, safe and show-worthy by kids who looked to be no more than nine or ten years old. At sixteen or so, I felt too old to learn how but man did I want to join that club.
Wordsmith Sharon Creech has come out with the new middle grade novel, Moo. It is kind of a verse nove…